Getting beagle compiled on KUbuntu 6.10 edgy
Posted by Jim Morris on Sat Feb 03 22:32:35 -0800 2007
The version of beagle available as a standard package with Ubuntu Edgy 6.10, is horribly buggy and uses a lot of memory (2Gbytes on my machine).
I wanted to build the latest version of Beagle (0.2.15.1) on my system which is actually KUbuntu, and this required a lot of effort! I had to install a bunch of added support libraries for gtk which do not appear to be installed by default on KUbuntu. I downloaded the latest source from here.
Here is a list of what I installed using
sudo aptitude install many are suggested
here the rest I
discovered by trial and error.
libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil mono mono-devel libmono-dev libgdiplus libxml-parser-perl libsqlite0 libsqlite0-dev libexif12 libexif-dev shared-mime-info libgmime2 libgmime2-dev gtk-sharp2 libgmime1 libgmime-2.0-2-dev libgmime2.2-cil libbeagle0 libmono-sqlite1.0-cil mono-gmcs mono-classlib-2.0 gnome-vfs-extfs libgnome-vfs-dev libxml2-dev libgconf2-dev libbonobo2-dev libbz2-dev fam libfam-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libgnome2-dev libgtk2.0-dev librsvg2-dev python-gtk2-dev gnome-sharp2 gtk-sharp
It turned out that the installed version of mono is not high enough to build the latest version of beagle, so I installed the latest version of mono manually into /opt/mono. You can get it here, I got the Generic Mono 22.214.171.124_1 Linux installer from here.
To use this the following exports need to be done, usually in ~/.bashrc
export GTK2_RC_FILES=$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 export PATH="/opt/mono/mono-126.96.36.199/bin:$PATH" export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/mono/mono-188.8.131.52/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH" export MANPATH="/opt/mono/mono-184.108.40.206/share/man:$MANPATH" export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/mono/mono-220.127.116.11/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
Additionally I needed to do this...
when I got a bunch of build errors, and run errors, presumably from mono.
I am not a c sharp programmer, and know nothing about mono, so I am not sure why these search paths are needed, but they are.
After all the above you can use the standard...
./configure make sudo make install
to build and install beagle.
I also turned on extended attributes on my ext3 partition as explained here.
Then run beagle (making sure the above export is done first otherwise it uses the wrong version of mono and can't find some of the mono libraries.)
As far as I can see it is now running and indexing my disk, and the memory usage is pretty low, and the cpu usage is tolerable.
If anyone can add good explanations please do so in the comments section.
UPDATE This recipe also works with beagle 0.2.16